Monday 2 June 2008

Isle of White - Birthday

 

Well after being on the Isle for 2 days, we have finally found free Wi-Fi connections. At McDonald's believe it or not. The only plug they have available is in a children's area, so we are crouched on low kids tables and short chairs and hunched over our laptops. Yes OUR, Peter has his out as well! LOL we must be quiet a site.

We arrived safely yesterday after an hour journey on the ferry. As it was an almost nice day and the sun was trying it's hardest to come out, we decided to go to Alum Bay. Alum Bay is well known for its coloured sand. Not knowing what that actually meant I thought it would be a nice sandy beach. A very rare thing in the UK. So I wore my flip-flops in hopes of taking them off and having a walk on the beach. However when we got there it's was not what I was expecting. First of all you get to the beach by way of a chair lift down to the beach. I did not enjoy the trip at all, because of my fear of heights. Peter was very good and patient with me. Once we got down to the beach I found out that it wasn't sand, but very large stones. The coloured sand are all in the cliffs which are make of chalk and clay. At the end of the cliffs is what they call the "Needles" which is pictured above. We had a long walk on the beach which was a struggle in flip-flops, but had a nice rest at the end on some rocks, which turned our trousers white from all the chalk. I tried to have a little paddle in the sea, but I couldn't get a good footing in all the stones and was worried I'd lose my flip-flops. So we headed back up to the cliff top on the chair lift again. I didn't mind the going up as much as the going down. After we had a game of mini-putt at the Jurassic Putt and after 9 holes we managed to end in a tie! Very diplomatic of Peter!

We then made our way back up to Ryde where we were staying. We were booked into a converted castle and looking forward to a nice place to stay at. However, we were a bit disappointed at the Inn, as it was a bit run down compared to the photos on the web page. Once in our room, which was up two flights of stairs, we found that our pillow cases and bed spread were not clean. We got them changed and then enjoyed a nice dinner in the dinning room. After dinner we decided to go for a nice walk on the beach. How glad I was that it was a sandy beach and I finally got to take off my flip-flops and walk in the sand. I even had a little paddle in the sea, although it was really cold.

All in all it was a great day and a nice way to spend my Birthday! Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday txt, phone calls and cards! From now on I'm forever 39!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you got my text- been having trouble with the network :( Either way, see you both on Wed night!!! xxx